Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sour Cream Doodles

Snickerdoodles are probably my most favorite cookie. So when I got this recipe for Sour Cream Doodles in an email from Shelf Reliance yesterday I knew I had to try them. I've been wanting to try baking with the Thrive butter and egg powders and this gave me the perfect excuse!

Here's what the reconstituted butter looked like. Please don't pay attention to the dirty countertop. Apparently the maid (that would be me) didn't realize how dirty the tile grout was until it was photographed. Why did anyone ever think white tile kitchen countertops were a good idea? Seriously.
It was definitely different than creaming butter and sugar together like I normally do, but it was really easy and the dough seemed like normal cookie dough. I'm sure I won't use butter powder every time I bake, but it's so nice knowing that if I want to bake and realize I'm out of refrigerated butter I can use the powder instead. It also saves me the embarrassment of asking to borrow butter from my neighbor or having to load up the kids and go to the grocery store just for butter. Can you tell this has happened to me a few times??? I also thought the butter powder would be nice for those times I was planning on baking but forgot to set out my butter to soften. When this happens I end up putting it in the microwave and it ends up melting a little and I end up getting frustrated!

I also have to mention the egg powder. It worked great too and I couldn't tell a difference. But here's the BEST part about the egg powder - The process they use in freeze drying the eggs kills all of the Salmonella. This means I can eat my cookie dough! Oh wait, I always eat the cookie dough. Well now I can eat the cookie dough without the risk of Salmonella! I do try to be a good mom and not let my kids eat regular cookie dough. Although I'm not sure if I'll tell them that they now can eat the dough. There probably wouldn't be any left to bake!

Overall the cookies turned out great. They weren't quite like the snickerdoodles I'm used to, they were more thick and cake-like, but very soft and yummy. I think next time I'll try the suggestion in the recipe to frost the cookies instead of rolling in cinnamon sugar.



Sour Cream Doodles
1/2 C Thrive Butter Powder (reconstituted with 2T water)
2 T Thrive Whole Egg Powder (reconstituted with 4T water)
1 1/2 C Thrive White Sugar
1 t vanilla
3 C Thrive White Flour
1/2 C Thrive Sour Cream Powder (reconstituted with 1/4 cup water)
1/2 t Thrive salt
1/2 t Thrive Baking Powder
1/2 t Thrive Baking Soda
2 T Thrive White Sugar
1 t cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cream butter, sugar, vanilla, and eggs. Add ½ of the flour and ½ of the sour cream; mix well. Add salt, baking powder, baking soda and last half sour cream. Add remaining flour slowly until desired texture. Roll into balls and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake on greased cookie sheet for 8 minutes.

For variation, these cookies can be frosted instead of being rolled into the cinnamon/sugar mixture.

5 comments:

  1. So I will have to try this recipe as I have all the powdered eggs, butter and sour cream. I have never used all three in one recipe so I am curious. Really looking forward to your recipes.-Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is all of this Thrive stuff you are talking about? I am so interested!!!! Those look delicious! -Kohl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jennifer, although my recipes won't even come close to the amazing recipes on your blog!

    Thanks Kohl! Thrive is Shelf Reliance's line of emergency food/food storage. I'm really wanting to actually use the stuff that I store so it's been fun learning to cook with it. There's a link to my website at the top of the page that will give you more info. Wanna have a party and you can try lots of the food??? :) TriciaReeder.shelfreliance.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a huge snickerdoodle fan, but these were quite delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmmmmmmm... My mouth is watering as I'm sitting here......

    ReplyDelete